The Pig’s Fu Jian Ting and New Forest Hotels’ Chloe Lancaster were named as joint winners of the top Purple Umbrella Award at a ceremony held at the Savoy in London.
The awards celebrate Umbrella Training’s apprentices and crown their apprentice of the year who has stood out during their time within their apprenticeship, whilst recognising the rising talent in the Hospitality industry. They are presented to talented chefs, team members, supervisors and managers for their commitment to lifelong learning and their achievements over the past 12-18 months.
Apprentices Lancaster and Ting were presented with the major titles, alongside Harry Murray, managing director of Lucknam Park, who received a special award for his own contribution to the development of apprentices in the industry. They were joined by nine other winners across the UK.
Chloe Lancaster, who works as a commis chef apprentice at The New Forest Hotels was commended for her commitment to both her own and personal development of others, her leadership skills and for achieving a distinction grade.
“I feel ecstatic, I really wasn’t expecting that. It means a lot to me and I’m very grateful to everybody who has supported me to date. It has been fantastic and really made a difference to my learning.”
Fu Jian Ting, a commis chef apprentice from The Pig Hotel was named as the winner for his dedication to learning as well as his exceptional cooking ability. He achieved a distinction grade and showcased his committed work ethic to developing his culinary skills.
“I’m excited and still shaking to be honest. I didn’t expect to win this. It has been brilliant and is another step to help me progress in my career.”
Adele Oxberry, Founder and Managing Director of Umbrella Training also commented: “Apprenticeship schemes provide people with meaningful opportunities to develop the skills and experience needed for a fulfilling and exciting career in hospitality. That’s why the incredible level of talent on display among this year’s Purple Umbrella Awards finalists and winners was so exciting and inspiring. We are immensely proud of everyone.”
Full list of Purple Umbrella Award winners:
- Best Chef Apprentice level 2 – Thomas Marriage, Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire
- Best Chef Apprentice level 3 – Benjamin Garnett-Sinclair, CH&Co
- Best Hospitality Team Member Apprentice – Alice Hockley, the Pig, Home Grown Hotels
- Best Hospitality Supervisor Apprentice – Aimee Reddick, AB Hotels
- Best Hospitality Manager Apprentice – Gabor Nagyvaradi, RAF Club
- Best Departmental and Operations Manager Apprentice – Selven Armoogum, Firmdale Hotels
- Best Learning & Development Apprentice – Katrina Brandt, Park Plaza Hotels Europe
- Best Apprentice (a non-Umbrella learner) – Charlotte Clarke, Kew Green Hotels
- Best Alumni Apprentice – Monika Soti, Rosewood London
- Special award – Harry Murray, Lucknam Park, Colerne, Wiltshire
- Purple Umbrella Award – Fu Jian Ting, the Pig, Brockenhurst, Hampshire
- Purple Umbrella Award – Chloe Lancaster, New Forest Hotels
For more information on Umbrella Training apprenticeships, please click here.